Hey there, my friends. How are you, today? Lately, our household has been extremely busy. In the past month alone, we’ve been to Ohio twice, it’s an 8-9 hour trip one way. This usually becomes at least a two to three day trip. I love to travel, but needless to say, these were not really pleasure trips. In an earlier post, I told you I would soon be an empty-nester. Well, the truth is, before one can become an empty-nester, there is work to be done. As a homeschooler, there are exams that a child still must complete; there are documents that must be sent to the school district and to the college. There are graduation ceremonies and parties that must be planned. The list goes on and on and that’s just for one child. When I sit for a moment, I feel guilty because there is still so much that needs my attention. All the empty-nesters out there, how did you handle this busy period? A sweet friend and I were talking about God’s wonderful creation week. In Genesis 2:2, the Bible says that God ‘rested’ from all His work. We know it was not a necessary or actual sleep rest because Psalm 121:4 tells us that our ‘God does not slumber or sleep’. Praise the Lord! I do need His attention every minute of every day. I must be His most exhausting child. But that’s okay, because He loves me. Of course, He ‘rested’ to set an example for us, because He knows we are prone to work this frail body too hard, sometimes even to a literal death. I knew it was time to stop and take a deep breath, when I began to forget what day of the week it was. Remember this verse, Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. A day has only 24 hours for a good reason. Can you imagine what we can conjure, if our day had 30 or more hours? I am convinced we would have much shorter life span! Praise the Lord for a 24 hour day! I guess our God is pretty smart, huh! My favorite down-time activities are;
- Read my Bible and talk (out loud) to God
- Listen to my favorite music while painting my nails (Mandisa, Hollyn, Natalie Grant and Blanca are a few of my favorites). My husband says I’m partial to women singers, I wonder where he got that idea from?
- Go for a leisure walk. Thankfully my city is literally surrounded by lakes, there are some amazing views out there
- Go running/jogging while listening to my favorite music (probably louder than I should, because I don’t want to hear the sound of my feet hitting the pavement). My favorite singers are listed above.
- Read a book while sipping white chocolate Peppermint tea from Teavana. It’s actually a Christmas tea, but who cares? It is the perfect blend of chocolate and fruit!
I found myself asking the Lord to forgive me for not appreciating the winter months more. I definitely should have taken the time to rest. These are a few of my de-stressing activities. What are yours? Please do share; I know we can learn from each other.