Is it our desire to “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”..2 Peter 3:18? It is imperative then, that we daily spend time with the Lord and in His Word. Long, long ago, when I was a child, I was invariably told over and over again to read my Bible and pray. Constantly, throughout my childhood, I heard the words, “Brenda, did you read your Bible and pray?” Of course, back when the dinosaurs roamed, there was always a reason to read our Bible. Our Sunday school teachers had a verse we had to memorize, our Awana leaders had questions about the Bible that needed to be answered, and our youth group also had passages of scripture that had to be explained. There was always a reason to be in the Word of God. I guess, growing up, that made it easier to be in the Scriptures. When I had children, the light bulb went on. I saw myself in my children, and let me tell you, it was not pretty! I understood then, why I was reminded daily to cultivate that devotional life, with the Lord. I realized how absolutely necessary it was that I do not neglect my time with the Lord. Here are five reasons (and a bit more) why we should spend time with the Lord and in His Word. (This blog would be way too long if I wrote out the verses, go ahead, read the verses for yourself, don’t take my word for it).
- Because parenting is impossible without God! As Christians, the Lord has commanded us to raise godly children, Malachi 2:15; Proverbs 31:28. The standard is the Word of God. The best gift we can give our children isn’t education, isn’t money, although the world would like to say otherwise. It is the gift of salvation, of knowing the Lord Jesus as their Savior. It is teaching them to love and trust the Lord completely.
- Because being an exceptional wife is impossible without God! Ephesians 5:22; Proverbs 31:11. Benny and I have been married for twenty two (22) years, and I need to say, He’s (God) still working on me. A few years ago, a friend told me that submission involves sacrifice. It isn’t very difficult to submit to my husband when the issue isn’t important. But then, when it is a key issue and he is moving in this direction and I think we should move in that one, I can rest; assured that the Lord is faithful. He rewards obedience to His Word.
- Because loving EVERYONE is impossible without God! John 15:12; Proverbs 31:20. Those love people verses! What are we to do? People are not always kind, they take pride in belittling others, and some are downright mean! Huh! Our battle isn’t against flesh and blood, perhaps because the Lord knows that none of us are good. No, not one!
- Because establishing ethical work habits is impossible without God! Ephesians 4:28; Proverbs 31:15. Working for people who appreciate what we do, makes the job enjoyable. It also encourages us to do our job well. But when the conditions are not pleasant, having that daily personal time with the Lord helps us to give our best, in spite of the circumstances.
- Because becoming an honorable woman is impossible without God! Proverbs 31:10. In Proverbs 31:30, we read that the woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. That’s where it starts.
That time with the Lord is a privilege. The Lord desires that we spend time with Him. He wants us to know Him, so that we can trust Him. He wants us to devote ourselves to Him, to find pleasure in His presence. Because we have to interact with others, we should spend time with the Lord. Because life throws us curve balls, we should spend time with the Lord. Because we cannot control our surroundings, we should spend time with the Lord. And believe it or not, because we are not ‘nice’, neither are we ‘good’, we need to daily be in the Word of God and prayer. I promise you, the world will thank you for it.